Thursday, March 28, 2013

What a week-Part two!

I forgot to mention that we must have had a "senior moment" and bought 4 bottle calves!  We picked them up in Osceola, after they had been brought from Minnesota the same day.  Two of them still had fresh cords!     We got them home and feed them milk replacer and, of course, one of them wouldn't eat.  After trying repeatedly without any success, we had to tube feed him!   We are really getting good at that.  I never dreamed our nurses training would help so much with our retirement projects!  They are having diarrhea so we had to give them a shot of antibiotic and add an egg to each bottle of milk so increase their protein.  Our daughter is going in half on the calves so she is helping feed them when she can, and I have been  glad because my "better half" has a bad cold and needs his rest.  Today I did all the chores and she helped with the evening feeding.  They are all eating like crazy!
Okay that was Wednesday! Today is Thursday and one of them wouldn't get up and wouldn't eat so we tube fed again and gave another round of antibiotics.  Tonight I said lets try something else I read on Backyard Herds.  We gave them a half bottle (1 quart) of electrolyte solution with 15cc of Kaopectate, them an hour later their regular bottle of milk with the egg in it.  Sounded reasonable to me, but I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment