Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Welcome to my new blog!

My husband and I are retired and getting busier now than we ever dreamed we would!  It might have something to do with the fact that last Spring, we started a goat herd and started a flock of chickens again.   We bought an existing herd of Boer goats south of Kansas City, and then a couple of Lamancha does and wethers locally, then a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does--and so on and so forth.  We are addicted.  We will soon have many Spring kids bouncing around.
We have a mixed flock of laying hens, who won't stay in their pen.  We clipped wings last summer but haven't followed up with clipping regularly.  I don't mind them free ranging but I suspect we have eggs in a variety of strange places in the barn.  We will find them when they get hot next summer!  We have Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandottes, and a couple of white hens.  We have a small black cat that likes to stay in the chicken house.  She curls up in the straw on the floor.  The chickens scratch all around her, throwing straw and dirt all over her as she lies there ignoring them.  I have been enjoying +Lisa Steele  and her blog.
I have started a new venture this week-incubating!  I have 13 turkey eggs that I started in the incubator Sunday evening.  They are Bourbon Reds, Royal Palm, Blue Slate, and Midget White.  After reading other posts on Backyard Chickens forum, I am hoping even half of them hatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment