Tuesday, May 28, 2013

They call this retirement?!

Sorry I haven't posted in over a month!  I have been busier than I ever was when I was working at a job.  But I guess it is much lower stress and that is what makes it fun.
The last time I wrote about our escapades was when the turkey was hatched.  Well, he didn't make it and the Iowa Blues didn't fare so well either.  I have two of them left out of about 10 that hatched, but that was my fault.  I think the heat lamp was too close to them. : (
On the brighter side, we went to bird auctions in Avoca, Winterset and West Point (NE) this last month and bought more rabbits and chickens and a baby llama, named Billy Bob.  Did I say brighter?  Billy Bob is so cute but is a real challenge to bottle feed.  He was only 2 weeks old when we got him on April 21 and being bottle fed three times a day.  He has to be forced to take the bottle every time and then sometimes just refuses it.  He is eating a little grain now so maybe things are looking up.
 His hair is so soft and he cuddles sometimes, but it is true that they spit!
I will need to find some clippers to shear him, because you can already tell he gets very warm with that coat on.
I moved some chicks from the house to a pen outside, but I think our cats attacked and killed seven the night after I moved them.  They are in the main chicken area now with the bigger chickens.  Keeping an eye on the cats!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment